How to Make a Report

Who Do I Call? 

Call your county Department of Social Services, Child Protective Services, or local law enforcement agency. Remember, any person who in good faith makes a report or gives testimony regarding possible child abuse or neglect is immune from civil or criminal liability. You also have the option to keep your identity anonymous.

Important Numbers for Jackson County 

  • Jackson County DSS - (828) 586-5546
  • Jackson County Sheriff's Office - (828) 586-8901
  • Sylva Police Department - (828) 586-2916
  • AWAKE Children's Advocacy Center - (828) 586-3574 

It is helpful if you can share the following information:

  • the name, address, and age of the child
  • the name and address or the child's parent, guardian, or caretaker
  • the child's condition, including the nature and extent of the injury
  • any information regarding the presence of weapons, alcohol/drug abuse, or other factors affecting the social worker's safety are important


  • You do not need to prove that abuse has taken place; you only need reasonable grounds for suspicion.
  • You do not have to give your name.
  • You do not need permission from parents or caregivers to make a report and you do not need to tell them you are reporting.
  • You do not need permission from your workplace to make a report, but there may be guidelines to help you.